College is very different from high school. In college, your child will explore new ideas and opportunities with the expectation that (s)he will take responsibility for themselves, their education and decisions. You may notice a change in your student as they become somewhat independent, mature and grow through this educational journey. The hardest thing for you may be letting go but you must.
While students will still need family financial and emotional support, please understand that they may need to live on campus, stay on campus during the weekends to work, study, and do research. Many students have important roles in their family household; however, their studies will demand equal if not more attention. Releasing them from some responsibility will allow them to be students and increase their chances of graduations. Once your child has earned a degree, you will be extremely proud that because of your support and their hard work (s)he has achieved their career goals.
To support on-time graduation, the SEBS EOF Team asks that you…
- Share in the commitment to focus on academic coursework
- Support all efforts that will enhance opportunities for success
- Encourage hopes and dreams
- Share information needed to assist with securing financial support
- Relax and release your daughter/son from responsibilities that take them away from studying
- Share information with the program and other parents in our community
- Contribute financially to support a focus on academics
- Believe in EOF