The initial experience for freshmen entering SEBS through EOF is the START-UP Summer Institute. The summer institute is a mandatory residential program that requires a commitment of up to six weeks. The START-UP Summer Institute is an intensive academic experience comprised of a multidisciplinary workshop series. The workshops include Mathematics, English Writing and Composition, Student Success, as well as Scientific Discovery. The SEBS EOF staff has designed the summer institute to improve student performance in science courses and increase first year retention.
The summer institute:
- Orients students to available programs and services
- Assesses students’ academic needs
- Prepares students for life at a major research institution
- Facilitates personal responsibility for the learning process
- Assists students in identifying their first-year goals and academic major
There are 6 required steps you must take to finalize your admissions to Rutgers and confirm your EOF eligibility.
Step 1: Alert your parent/ guardian that you will be living on campus this summer
Dates: June 28–July 24, 2020.
As a SEBS EOF student, you are REQUIRED to attend the four-week residential 2020 SEBS EOF Summer START–UP. As a participant you are required to live in on-campus housing while engaging in rigorous scholarly activities (students are not allowed to have cars during the summer program).
Step 2: Complete the SEBS EOF Summer START–UP survey (survey will open spring 2020).
Be sure to have access to health Insurance information when completing the survey. If you don’t have health insurance please let us know we will provide health insurance during the summer program. The university requires that all students have health insurance. Please check with your parents/guardians to determine your health insurance status.
Step 3: Register for the Family and Student Orientation (registration will open spring 2020).
On Saturday, June 13 all students and guardian(s) are required to attend the Orientation. Come meet the SEBS EOF staff and learn more about Rutgers University and the amazing journey you are about to embark upon. We will discuss: financial aid, fall registration, on campus housing, cost of attending and so much more!
Step 4: Study for the Rutgers University Placement Exam
Use these resources to study for the placement exam.
- Elementary Algebra Review Exercises
- Intermediate Algebra Review Exercises
- Pre-Calculus Part 1 Review Exercises
- Pre-Calculus Part 2 Review Exercises
Step 5: Register for the Rutgers University Placement Exam to reserve your seat in the 2020 SEBS EOF Summer START–UP
Click the link above. To officially reserve your seat you must complete the University placement test no later than Sunday, May 17th.
Step 6: Purchase a computer (laptops/notebooks preferred) for your personal academic use during the summer START-UP
All SEBS EOF incoming students are required to have a computing device. All students must review and agree to adhere to the SEBS EOF risk management policies and procedures. The Summer Institute Personal Property/Computer Risk Management Policy/Contract is included in the application. Please thoroughly review the Risk Management document as it outlines individual and program responsibility for student personal items. This application will be available in early April.
Upon completing the summer program, EOF students may begin the fall semester with three undergraduate degree credits and a greater familiarity with the academic demands and the social environment of Rutgers University.
The Residence Life and Counseling components of the Summer START-UP are crucial in promoting a cohesive living and learning community where students live together with an emphasis on personal growth, academic maturity and an appreciation of diversity. SEBS EOF students will be housed on the Cook/Douglass Campus during the Summer START-UP.
- As a continuation of the summer program, all SEBS EOF students participating in the campus residential program will be required to reside on G. H. Cook or the Douglass campus during their first year at the University.
- Students must complete and return the START-UP Summer Institute Forms Application prior to attending the summer program. This application will be available in early April.
- All summer START-UP participants must adhere to the SEBS EOF Summer Programs Policies and Procedures.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Dr. Jacqueline Moore at jacqueline.Moore1@rutgers.edu or call 848-932-3738.